What does a (Frontend) Software Engineer do?
The job of a front-end software engineer involves creating the visible parts of a website or application that users interact with.
They are the builders of user interface, making sure it looks good, functions well, and provides a great user experience.
What are some of the soft skills needed?
- Attention to detail
- Clear communication skills
- Time management
What about hard skills?
- Understanding of responsive web design principles to create interfaces that work well across various devices and screen sizes
- Ability to identify and fix issues in the frontend code using browser developer tools and other debugging techniques
- Familiarity with frontend frameworks like React, Angular, or Vue.js.
- A basic understanding of graphic design principles and user experience (UX) design concepts
- Must have the capacity to test and debug code to ensure the project is bug-free
What is the typical progression pathway of a (Frontend) Software Engineer?
Front-end software engineers usually start out as Junior Front-End Developers, in this role they work under the guidance of senior developers and collaborate with multidisciplinary teams to develop user interfaces for websites or applications.
As they gain more experience, they become front-end developers, working on larger and more complex projects to create user-friendly interfaces.
What are some possible entry points into this field?
You can explore different educational paths, including pursuing a degree in fields such as Computer Science, Software Engineering, Web Development, Computer Graphics, Game Design, and Media and Communications.
Additionally, you can enhance your skills through courses like Codecademy's HTML & CSS Course, freeCodeCamp, and Coursera courses covering relevant hard skills. CodeFirstGirls also offers courses in this domain. These educational options can help you build a strong foundation for a career in the field.
What is the starting salary for this profession?
In London, the average salary for a Software Engineer - Front End is £51,930 per year, with a minimum of £45,000 for a Front End Engineer and a maximum of £82,000 for a Lead Front End Engineer.
Which top industries are hiring (Frontend) Software Engineers right now?
- Information technology
- Research and development
- Media and entertainment